Learn from my mistakes…
In University I tore my ACL playing rugby and got surgery almost a full year later. Being a little overconfident I did not focus on my rehab as much as I should have and did little focused at home recovery exercises outside of Physio.
Well, later I decided to play soccer and my lax attitude towards my recovery came back to haunt me 20 minutes into the game.
I re-tore my ACL and swore to myself I would learn everything and do everything I possibly could to avoid re-tearing it or having life long limitations.
These videos are the culmination of years of work and pain!
I had all the fears after my second tear…
- Could I walk my wife back down the isle (literally 3 months before our wedding I tore my knee)
- Was I going to have to suffer through chronic pain
- Will I be able to play with my kids? (none at the time but 1 now)
- Will I be able to play the sports I love again?
Not only did I want to be damn certain I never re-tore my knee I felt like there was information lacking from my Physio and Surgeon.
My surgeons sent me home with a badly photocopied booklet while my physio was only going to be seen every other day starting one week into the recovery.
These crucial first days we have so little guidance or information to go off.
- How much pain is normal?
- The doctor didn’t give me much post op instructions!
- Am I doing the exercise correctly?
- What else should I be doing?