Discover the Exciting World of Artistic Blacksmithing With The Fundamentals of Blacksmithing
My name is David Robertson and I have been smithing for over 20 years now. Whew, time does fly!
The ebook is broken down into chapters that roughly follow my Basic and Intermediate Blacksmithing Courses that I offer at my shop. I do strongly feel that nothing replaces one on one instruction in the finer points of this craft, but if you are looking to test the waters in this ancient art The Fundamentals of Blacksmithing is an excellent place to start.
A sampling of chapters are:
- Tool Steel
- Hot Punching
- Heat Treating .....and much more!
- Hand Forged Knives
- Forge Welding
- Drawing out
You will learn:
- The basic tools you wil require.
- How to work with tool steel and how to make hand forged knives.
- How to upset a bar, and make leaves.
- How to twist and make scrolls.
- How to taper, and shoulder.
- How to build and maintain a proper coal fire.
- Hot through punching, and splitting.
- Forge welding and making tongs.
- Effective drawing out and hot cutting.
and many other tips and techniques.
The ebook also discusses elements of design of a project such as balance, movement, flow and tension.
With these fundamental techniques you will save hours of doing it the hard way, trying to re-invent the wheel. There are many ways of reaching the same goal in blacksmithing. Some are just faster and easier than others.