How to Escape from the Grant Writing Maze and Get Funded
A required textbook at Purdue University Calumet, Let's Write a Grant is a step-by-step ebook for writing foundation grant proposals that grab attention, build confidence, and garner funding.
The ebook uses an easy-to-follow format leading the writer through the development of a grant request by posing questions to answer in each of the seven sections in a common grant application:
- Agency Description Get the foundation to take you seriously... the 11 questions you need to answer to prove your organization is the "real deal."
- Needs Section Get the reader on your side...the seven questions you must cover to prove your project is worth funding.
- Financial Information Fail to explain this and the foundation will think you do not need help.
- Project Description Bring your project "to life" for the reader by answering these 12 questions.
- Summary Learn the four make-or-break questions your summary must answer.
- Budget Calm funder nerves by addressing "red flags" in your budget.
- Evaluation Do this to show you are serious about measuring results.
Detailed information is provided about each of the seven sections:
- The length of the section. You may be giving too much information.
- Why the foundation asks for the information. Five deadly words that can put your application on life support.
- The purpose of the section. The costly mistake faith-based organizations make.
- Writing tips. Did you know that some jargon can actually help you to build credibility?
- Common writing problems. Two foolish mistakes that leave readers scratching their heads.
- Examples for the writer to review and follow. Learn by studying a powerful sample proposal!
And that only scratches the surface of what you'll learn from this information-packed book.
- Do you know the little known "three strike rule-and how to use it to rescue a rejected proposal?
- No recent audit of your organization? Do not be disqualified-use this work-around
- Do you know the best time to apply for a grant?
- Boost your chances of success with the cover letter's signature. Learn how.
- Does the type of mailing packaging you use really matter?
- Start strong: the five key elements you must include in the cover letter's opening paragraph.
- The "eyes" have it...the font that keeps the reader's breezing along the page.
- Is yours a new organization? How to establish credibility.
Let's Write a Grant:
- offers a step-by-step writing guide
- makes suggestions for improving your proposal writing
- provides writing and budget examples
- helps you to build a grant proposal by answering simple questions
- breaks the proposal into writing sections
- provides easy-to-follow instructions and examples