How To Grow Square Watermelon
The notorious cartoon character, Homer Simpson, bought a square watermelon from a street vendor in Tokyo. I grew one in my home garden. Now, you can have your own!
This unusual fruit is taking Japan by storm but is only available at select supermarkets and upscale stores.
Grow Your Own Square Watermelon
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- PART 1 - GROWING THE PLANT AND THE FRUIT
- Prepare the soil.
- Climate limitations.
- Storing the watermelon.
- Cutting the watermelon.
- The essentials
- Watermelon varieties.
- It's all natural... it only looks odd.
- Choose a watermelon for your region.
- Limited garden space.
- Time to harvest.
- Lack of light and skin color density.
- Planting and growing the plant.
- Prepare space for the vine
- Pests and other dangers to your plant.
- Summer's challenge.
- Taking care of the watermelon on the vine.
Build the structure. Shape your watermelon.
- Shape the young watermelon.
- Cut to your chosen dimensions.
- Assemble components.
- Determine the components.
- Check frequently.
- Harvest your square watermelon - Claim your prize!
- Approximate the dimensions.
- Choose your watermelon.
- What can you do with this peculiar-looking fruit?
- Other fruits.
- For fun and profit- the lure of niche markets.
- Watermelon recipes.
- Health benefits of watermelon.
- Keep the fun alive with digital photography.
- Watermelon fun facts.
- Do other shapes tickle your fancy?
Who Can Benefit From This Book?
Out-of-the-ordinary gardens are growing in popularity because of the excitement they bring to people. For sure growing square watermelon can only add more fun to this excitement. It's great for:
- Backyard gardens.
- A hot gift item for off-beat gardeners or the person who has everything.
- School gardens.
- Community gardens.
- Rooftop gardens.
- Farmers with specialty markets in mind.
Be a Pioneer
- Bring a touch of novelty to your gardening. Entertain your friends with this off-the-wall square watermelon project.
- Square watermelon refreshments are fast becoming the North America's gourmet coffee equivalent in Japan. What an opportunity to blaze a trail in your hang-out!
- Include kids and encourage them to be 'grounded' in planting as a means to harvesting.