A Course in Wood Turning Ebook
Title: A Course in Wood Turning
This ebook is the outgrowth of problems given to high school pupils by the writers, and has been compiled in logical sequence. Stress is laid upon the proper use of tools, and the problems are presented in such a way that each exercise, or project, depends somewhat on the one preceding. It is not the idea of the writers that all problems shown should be made, but that the instructor select only such as will give the pupils enough preliminary work in the use of the tools to prepare them for other models following.
The related matter on the care of the lathe and tools, the grinding of chisels, the polishing of projects, and the specific directions and cautions for working out the various exercises and projects with the drawings, make the ebook not only valuable for reference, but also as a class text to be studied in connection with the making of projects. The drawings show exact dimensions and are tabulated in the upper right-hand corner in such a way that they may be used in a filing case if desired. At least two designs are shown for each model, and these may be used as suggestions from which students, with the aid of the instructor, may work out their own designs.
The ebook has been divided into two parts: (A) Spindle Turning, and (B) Face-Plate Turning. The same order is followed in each part; the related information is supplied where required as the pupil progresses.
Part A takes up the following: (I) Exercises; (II) Models, involving the same tool processes, only in a somewhat different degree; (III) Oval Turning, explaining the use of two centers; (IV) Duplicate Turning, where identical pieces are turned.
Part B is arranged as follows: (I) Exercises; (II) Models, which are an application of cuts in exercises that involve only face-plate work; (III) Models, which require chucking; (IV) Assembling Exercises, involving spindle turning, face-plate work and chucking; (V) Spiral Turning, showing the method of turning a spiral on the lathe.
The ultimate aim of this ebook is to give, through the exercises and problems, a thorough understanding of the principles of wood turning by gradually developing the confidence of the pupil in the complete control of his tools, at the same time suggesting harmonious lines in design which will lead to other ideas in designing problems.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- The Lathe-Care of the Lathe-Speed of the Lathe-Method of Figuring the Diameter of Pulleys-Rules for Finding the Speeds and Sizes of Pulleys-Points on Setting Up the Lathe and Shafting
- Introductory-Commercial and Educational Values of Wood Turning-Elements of Success
- Wood Turning Tools-Grinding and Whetting Turning Tools-The Gouge-The Parting Tool-Scraping Tools
- Tool Processes in Spindle Turning-The Roughing Cut-The Sizing Cut-The Smoothing Cut-Testing for Smoothness-Measuring for Length-Squaring Ends-Cutting Off-Shoulder Cuts-Taper Cuts-V Cuts-Concave Cuts-Convex Cuts-Combination Cuts-Chisel Handles-Mallets and Handles-Vise Handles
- Spindle Turning-Centering Stock-Clamping Stock in the Lathe-Adjusting the Tool Rest-Position of the Operator at the Lathe-Holding the Tools-Use of the Tools in Spindle Turning
- Oval Turning-Tool Operations
- Finishing and Polishing-Ordinary Cabinet Finishing-French Polishing-Method of Applying French Polish
- Duplicate Turning-Use of Measuring Stick-Use of Templets
- Face-Plate and Chuck Turning-Methods of Fastening Stock-Small Single Screw Face-Plate-Large Surface Screw Face-Plate-Gluing to Waste Stock-Lathe Adjustments-Position of Tool Rest
- Spiral Turning-Single Spiral, Straight Shaft-Tapered Shaft-Double Spiral, Tapered Shaft-Double Spiral, Straight Shaft-Double Groove Spiral, Straight Shaft
- Tool Processes in Face-Plate and Chuck Turning-Straight Cuts-Roughing Off Corners-Calipering for Diameter-Smoothing Cut-Roughing Cut on the Face-Smoothing the Face-Laying Off Measurements-External Shoulders-Internal Shoulders-Taper Cuts-V Cuts-Concave Cuts-Convex Cuts-Combination Cuts-Use of Scraping Tools-Internal Boring-Turning a Sphere
Ebook Type: PDF
|How to Make Money from Woodcarving|
Author: Heath Allison
Category: Business, Hobbies
|Max's Woodworking Plans|
Author: Max Millard
Category: Home, How To, Manuals
Author: Jim Morgan
Category: Business, Hobbies, Home Business
|16,000 woodworking plans|
Category: Family, Hobbies, Home
|Woodworking For Beginners|
Author: Rogue Oranum
Category: Home, How To, Manuals
|The Complete Guide To Wood Finishing|
Category: Home, Manuals
|Refinishing Your Wood Furniture|
Author: David Crowe
|The Art of Woodworking|
Category: Hobbies, How To
Site owner: Put the rating form on your site!
Listing wrong or need to be updated? Modify it.
Child Custody (32)
Christian Books (115)
Cover design (3)
Fish and Fishing (60)
For Authors (80)
Green Products (39)
Home Business (182)
How To (236)
Illustrated Picture Books (22)
Law and Legal (26)
Real Estate (64)
SEO and Promotion (76)
Science Fiction (35)
Self Defense (72)
Self Help (500)
Weight Loss (234)
Young Adult (44)
32 Hobbies ebooks Click here to see the full list of these ebooks
(total value $191.65)
just for $25.95
Any 100 ebooks from 2000+ titles Click here to see the full list of these ebooks
just for $29.95
Get full access to 2000+ ebooks Click here to see the full list of these ebooks
just for $49.95
From: World Wide Web Awards™
E-Library has been selected to receive the World Wide Web Awards™ "Gold"Award.
The World Wide Web Gold Award represents web presence at its best.
Select spelling error with your mouse and press Esc