101 TIPS TO HAVE YOUR DREAM WEDDING ON A BUDGET
1. Create a wedding journal. When planning your wedding, the best place to start is by creating a wedding journal. This can be in a three ring binder, a spiral notebook or even a file folder.
2. Start by budgeting the must have items. Every couple has different priorities. Maybe your heart is set on a one of a kind silk dress or a 5-tier wedding cake. Whatever is most important to you should be budgeted for first. Once you have an accurate idea of how much these "must haves" will cost, determine what else you will need. A general list includes:
- A venue for both the ceremony and the reception.
- The wedding officiant.
- Food and/or drinks.
- A cake.
- Attire for the bride and the groom (including accessories).
- A marriage license.
- Gifts for the attendants.
3. Keep track of ALL expenses. Since the average engagement is around 12 months long, that's a lot of time to be buying items "as you see them". A big mistake budget conscious couples make is to not keep track of exactly how much they've spent. Every time you purchase something write it down in your wedding journal.
4. Educate yourself on what things cost. Before you purchase anything, shop around to see what the going rate is. Unless you know what several different places are charging, you have no way of knowing if what you plan on spending is reasonable. Doing this can also give you bargaining power.